Sunday, May 23, 2010

Why do so many (mostly Afr. Amer.) people have a problem with MY natural hair?

I don't understand, its my hair, and its a personal choice. A choice which in no way is harmful to others. Complimenting old photos of me with relaxed hair is just as insulting as saying "Why don't you get a perm" or "You need a perm" or "Why is your hair nappy?" etc. And the silence or opened mouth is golden. Really? Is it that serious? Unbelievable! I see this reaction all day, and all I can do is shake my head.

I think its sad, and I wish our shallow mentality would change. This is the way I was born. This is the way my hair is suppose to look when it grows out of my scalp. I am a woman of African descent, and my ancestors were proud of their hair texture, and I am too! This is who I am suppose to be. This is who I've wanted to "become" for years, but I was always reluctant, because I was afraid of what society might think. I've had several failed attempts, to embrace my natural hair texture, but now I have logging onto long hair care forum and youtube for support. I no longer listen to the negative comments, and I no longer feel offended, I feel motivated to continue my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment